To determine if your CE provider is ACPE-accredited, review your CE completion documentation or contact your CE provider directly. You can also find a list of ACPE-accredited providers here.
Completion documentation for activities from ACPE-accredited providers contains a 15 digit ACPE Universal Activity Number (UAN). Example ACPE UAN: 197-000-15-001-L05-T.
PTCB accepts CE activities completed through both ACPE-accredited and non-ACPE-accredited providers.
- Non-ACPE-accredited CE activities must contain subject matter listed within PTCB’s Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination Content Outline.
- Pharmacy law CE activities from non-ACPE-accredited CE providers must address federal, state, or local laws and/or regulations affecting the practice of pharmacy.
- Patient safety CE activities from non-ACPE-accredited CE providers must address “the prevention of healthcare errors, and the elimination or mitigation of patient injury caused by healthcare errors,” as defined in the ACPE Policy and Procedures Manual.
When applying for renewal, if all CE activities were completed through an ACPE-accredited provider, you will need to select the “I attest that: I have earned all 20 continuing education (CE) hours from ACPE-accredited providers...” option when attesting to the completion of the required CE hours.
If your CE activities were completed through both ACPE-accredited providers and non-ACPE-accredited providers or only non-ACPE-accredited providers, you will need to select the “I attest that: I have earned continuing education (CE) hours from ACPE-accredited providers AND/OR from non-ACPE-accredited providers.” option when attesting to the completion of the required CE hours and enter information for the CE activities from non-ACPE-accredited providers.
Please review How-To: Manually Enter CE Information for instructions on entering CE information from non-ACPE-accredited providers.
What are the approved continuing education (CE) activities that may not be from ACPE-accredited providers?
- Seminars, Workshops, and Conferences. Credit may be earned by attending seminars, workshops, conferences, or other educational programs that contain subject matter listed within the PTCE Content Outline. These programs may include a live, web-based, or recorded presentation, teleconference, virtual meeting, panel discussion, or workshop.
Documentation Required: Certificants must maintain a Certificate of Completion, Statement of Credit, or Transcript issued by the activity/program provider, that includes the name of the participant; title and completion date of the activity; program sponsor or provider name; and number of hours awarded.
- College Courses. Credit may be earned for the successful completion of academic coursework at a regionally accredited university, college, or community college during the current renewal cycle. Certificants will be granted (10) CE hours for a course (or courses) equal to (3) three academic credit hours, so long as the certificant receives a grade of “C” or better. Relevant coursework must align with pharmacy technician subject matter as outlined in PTCB’s Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination Content Outline.
Documentation Required: Certificants must maintain an official transcript, grade report, or verification form issued by the educational institution, which indicates a grade of “C” or better in the course.
- Service to PTCB. Credit may be earned for unpaid participation in certain PTCB activities and functions that are essential to maintaining the Certification Program. The activities and functions that are eligible for CE hours and the number of CE hours that will be granted are at the discretion of the PTCB Certification Council.
Documentation Required: Certificants must maintain a signed letter of participation and CE award from an authorized representative of the PTCB Certification Council.
Additional information regarding CE requirements can be found at ptcb.org.