To become certified with PTCB as a CPhT:
- Register online to create a PTCB Account.
- Apply for certification by logging in to your PTCB Account and using the link available on your account homepage. The cost to apply and take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) is $129. Once your application is approved, you will receive an email from PTCB indicating you are authorized to schedule your exam appointment.
- Schedule your PTCE appointment once you have received your authorization to schedule email from PTCB. You may schedule your appointment through your PTCB Account or call Pearson Vue at 866‐902‐0593. The PTCE is administered year‐round at more than 1,400 Pearson Professional Centers nationwide, including more than 100 military on-base sites.
- Take the PTCE, a two‐hour multiple-choice exam containing 90 questions (80 scored questions and 10 unscored questions).
- If you obtain a passing score on the PTCE, your official score report will be available within 3 weeks of your exam date. You will have access to your certificate and wallet card through your PTCB Account.
To earn CPhT Certification, candidates must satisfy the following eligibility requirements:
- Candidates must complete a PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program OR equivalent work experience as a pharmacy technician (min. 500 hours)
- Full disclosure of all criminal and State Board of Pharmacy registration or licensure actions
- Compliance with all applicable PTCB Certification policies
- Passing score on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE)
PTCB-Recognized Programs have been reviewed and found to provide learners with foundational knowledge that will help them be successful on PTCB exams. Please note that PTCB-Recognized Programs may not cover all information that appears on your exam. It is important that you review the exam content outline as part of your preparation and seek supplemental resources as needed.