To become certified with PTCB as a CPhT:
- Register online to create a PTCB Account.
- Apply for certification by logging in your PTCB Account. The cost to apply and take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) is $129. Once your application is approved, you will receive an email from PTCB indicating authorization to schedule your exam appointment.
- Schedule your PTCE appointment once you have received your authorization to schedule email from PTCB. You may schedule your appointment online or call Pearson Vue at 866‐902‐0593. The PTCE is administered year‐round online through OnVUE and more than 1,400 Pearson Professional Centers nationwide, including more than 100 military on-base sites.
- Take the PTCE, a two‐hour multiple-choice exam containing 90 questions (80 scored questions and 10 unscored questions). Official score reports are available online within your PTCB Account approximately three weeks following your exam.
- If you obtain a passing score on the PTCE, you will have access to your official certificate and wallet card through your PTCB Account, once your official score report becomes available within approximately 1 to 3 weeks of your exam date.
To achieve CPhT Certification, candidates must satisfy the following eligibility requirements:
- Candidates must complete a PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program OR equivalent work experience
- Full disclosure of all criminal and State Board of Pharmacy registration or licensure actions
- Compliance with all applicable PTCB Certification policies
- Passing score on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE)
To be eligible for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE), a candidate must complete one of the following:
Pathway 1: A PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program (or completion within 60 days).
Pathway 2: Equivalent work experience as a pharmacy technician (min. 500 hours).